ACS Publications is the publishing branch of the American Chemical Society (ACS) and works to support the ACS’ goal to be the most authoritative, comprehensive, and indispensable provider of chemistry-related information. ACS Publications products include more than 55 scholarly journals, C&EN magazine, and ACS eBooks. ACS Publications is based in Washington, D.C., and has offices and remote employees throughout the world.
As part of its mission, ACS Publications produces C&EN, the flagship publication sent in both print and digital formats to over 150,000 ACS members. Printed each week, C&EN is consistently ranked by members as the most important benefit of membership from ACS. C&EN produces authoritative, award-winning journalism from around the world of chemistry, including recent advances in research, education, industry, funding, and regulatory policy. The Publications Division of the American Chemical Society publishes C&EN, and is widely considered one of the major benefits of membership to the world’s largest scientific society dedicated to a single discipline.
The Audience Development Marketing Manager to will play a key role in C&EN’s efforts to recruit new ACS members by formulating and executing strategies to acquire and retain readers. The ideal candidate loves marketing, is obsessed with data, and has a deep understanding of internet culture and community, as well as digital publishing and distribution strategies.
Reporting to the Senior Marketing Manager for C&EN, s/he will be responsible for instituting and growing the subscriber base of cen.acs.org, and establishing methods to convert subscribers to paid ACS members. The Audience Development Manager will work collaboratively with editorial teams across all sites to optimize conversion of subscribers. The Audience Development Manager will also be responsible for working closely with the Membership and Society Programs to identify synergies, programs and messaging to help increase subscriber conversions.
1.Develop and execute integrated marketing plans for to drive audience development and engagement. Work closely with the audience development team to execute campaigns via email, video, display and social media to acquire new ACS members and retain current subscribers, using list segmenting and behavioral targeting strategies.
2. Develop and execute content marketing strategies to engage prospective members and subscribers, and work with marketing teams across the society to effectively nurture readers towards their marketing goals. Optimize the online registration process to support demographic profiling, conversion and data insight requirements.
3. Oversee execution of event marketing including tradeshows and ACS National Meetings with reader/member focused strategies within the overall audience-marketing plan. The event-marketing framework will include identifying stakeholders and managing timelines, documenting necessary event-marketing elements, coordinating participant prizes/giveaways and related follow up activities, and conducting post-event analysis.
4. Lead and support research projects and create materials to help internal teams better understand audience trends. Analyze current strategies and consult with audience development team across marketing, membership and editorial to increase ACS Members/readership. Coordinate outreach for user surveys and focus groups for further testing of platforms.
5. Master analytics tools (Google Analytics, Chartbeat, internal dashboards, etc.) to provide valuable page performance insights for partners and internal teams. Serve as a subject matter expert and assist in implementation of Adobe Target.
6. Collaborate with editorial, social, marketing and creative teams to create content marketing campaigns based on editorial calendar. Find and assess overlap and opportunity in audience/customers/members across C&EN Online, C&EN Global Enterprise, ACS Webinars and other valuable information products from ACS to help engage potential members.
College degree or equivalent experience or formal training. 1-3 years of marketing and advertising experience; Familiarity with marketing automation software like Eloqua; CMS such as WordPress, basic HTML experience required. Agency experience, familiarity with social media, SEO tactics, ecommerce marketing, and design software is a plus. Proficiency with database management and reporting tools, marketing automation tools and CRMs (preferably Eloqua). Experience with graphic design software, including Canva and Adobe a plus. Strong familiarity with excel and analytics.
Must have strong written and communication skills and relevant experience in building brand community and loyalty a plus. Candidate should have excellent organizational skills with ability to run multiple projects and meet tight deadlines while staying attentive to customer requirements and needs. Available for up to 10% domestic travel.
A track record of working with marketing and editorial teams to manage data for the development and execution of outbound and inbound campaigns. Experience with – and a passion for – marketing, digital audience development and content marketing. Strong writing and communications skills, and 3-5 years
Enthusiastic attitude and a deep desire to manage by the number. Analytical and problem-solving skills, and ability to use data from multiple sources to gain insights and help drive decisions.
Digital marketing experience, including strategy development, and expertise in email, social, SEO, SEM and web analytics. Prior experience with website and digital property launches a plus.
About American Chemical Society
Founded in 1876 and chartered by the U.S. Congress, we are the world’s largest scientific society. Our mission is to advance the broader chemistry enterprise and its practitioners for the benefit of Earth and its people. Our vision is to improve people’s lives through the transforming power of chemistry.