The Division of University Advancement seeks an experienced and creative marketing professional to lead our marketing strategy team within Advancement Communications. The Director of Advancement Marketing Communications will be responsible for conceiving, developing and executing strategies across numerous channels to achieve university and division goals for: 1) current and future fundraising campaigns; 2) increased and more meaningful audience engagement; and 3) increased annual giving participation. The successful candidate will have exceptional planning, analytical and communication skills, and demonstrated experience in cross-channel marketing, including but not limited to direct mail, email, online, social media and video.
The Director of Advancement Marketing Communications should be innovative, organized and deadline-focused, and have experience in managing both projects and teams. This position requires extensive experience in developing multi-channel, data-driven marketing plans with a strategic focus on advancing organizational goals and achieving quantifiable objectives. The Director of Advancement Marketing Communications will work closely with other teams within the division, including Alumni Relations, Annual Giving, Development, Events, Gift Planning and Institutional Partnerships.
This position reports to the Executive Director of Advancement Integrated Marketing Communications.
Duties/essential functions may include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Develops and executes integrated marketing communications strategies that further University Advancement goals across a variety of departments and functions, including Alumni Relations, Annual Giving, Development, Gift Planning and Institutional Partnerships.
- Liaises with University Advancement and other internal partners to understand and distill their strategic goals and objectives. Develops customized marketing communications plans that advance these goals and objectives, and provides support as necessary.
- Works closely with other members of the Advancement Integrated Marketing Communications team to define audience segments and develops marketing communications interventions to achieve goals and objectives for engagement, participation and philanthropic support.
- Develops and manages relationships with external vendors. Serves as point person and coordinates internal and external activities for division's marketing communications strategy consulting contracts, including for its upcoming comprehensive campaign.
- Serves as marketing communications strategy subject matter expert and advocates for best practices.
- Develops quantifiable goals to evaluate success, tracks appropriate metrics and develops reports to monitor effectiveness of strategies.
- Manages Advancement Integrated Marketing Communications strategy team.
- Evaluates existing programs, strategies and tactics; recommends and implements future approaches for advancement communications and marketing.
- Monitors industry trends, issues and technologies, and proposes innovative strategies and tactics to advance division's objectives.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, journalism, communications or public relations (master's degree preferred);
- 10+ years of experience in digital and print content strategy and development;
- 5+ years of experience in project management and management of a team;
- Experience in higher education and/or large institution fundraising or marketing communications is preferred but not required;
- Expertise in marketing and communications principles, strategies and tactics;
- Outstanding strategic communication, writing and editing skills with the ability to disseminate information to audiences with varying understanding of marketing strategy;
- Extensive experience with digital marketing, including email, websites and social media;
- Proficiency with content management systems and social media platforms;
- Experience supervising staff and leading teams;
- Knowledge of marketing analytics and metrics;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office;
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite;
- Strong analytical, research and problem-solving skills;
- Creativity in developing innovative marketing and communications strategies;
- Ability meet tight deadlines;
- Understanding of best practices and metrics for university and advancement communications;
- Ability to contribute in a high-performing team environment;
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
University Advancement at Carnegie Mellon University
Carnegie Mellon is enjoying its most productive fundraising years in its history, raising more than $500M over the last three years. University Advancement supports the entire CMU community in securing the financial resources the university needs to continue its ascent. As the division grows, we are seeking senior advancement professionals with a passion for higher education and who appreciate the role of philanthropy in enabling the university to accomplish its mission.
Please visit Why Carnegie Mellon to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world. http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/why-cmu/index.html.
Carnegie Mellon offers a flexible benefits program featuring multiple coverage plan options for health, dental, vision and life insurance. Other benefits include a generous retirement program, tuition remission and paid time off policy.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/index.html.
CMU is based in the vibrant city of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, consistently ranked among the most livable cities in the U.S. Pittsburgh continues to place high on many best of lists, including The Top 10 Cities Techis Should Consider Moving to in 2016 by Huffington Post. Situated at the intersection of three rivers with mountains and lakes nearby, Pittsburgh was also recognized as the 5th best city for an active lifestyle by WalletHub. And Zagat named the city the No. 1 food city in America this year. Pittsburgh has the environment, cultural happenings, vigorous sports scene, affordable housing, and food to make living here enticing to many.
Visit http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/ and http://www.downtownpittsburgh.com/
Carnegie Mellon considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.